Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nicole Tries Blaak Onion Jam

First off yes, I know tomatoes are out of season. And secondly, yes, I know I used crescent rolls. And thirdly, I really can't wait till summer starts hitting, so I can go looking around for farmers markets.

I know there is some variation of this on the beekman1802 website, but this was based off the little tart thing that Josh made in S2 Ep. 5 at the cooking demonstration.

I wanted something to easily throw together and make.

So:
My weapons of choice.

I should also note, I don't want to say I dislike onions, because I'm sure I don't, it's just growing up in a family with a parent allergic to onions and garlic, they are flavors I have to grow into and realize that now that I don't live at home, I can make all the recipes in the world that call for onions and garlic.

But for tonights simplicities sake, I wanted to "recreate" the tart.

I opened the crescent rolls, and laid each one out and put a little onion jam in and half a tomato. Then rolled them up.


I put them into the oven and baked. So they came out like this:


So they look all nice and done on the outside. The inside was one gooey mess. :/  Next time I'll try using my oven instead of the toaster oven, or even moving the rack around in the toaster oven. I never had trouble when I made pigs in a blanket in my toaster, but who knows. I seem to be losing my magic cooking touch here, just when I want to keep trying new things.

So I know this is what you've all been waiting for my verdict on the Onion Jam.

*drum roll*

I like it. I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it. I love the flavors of the ingredients and am surprised at how well they go together (actually I shouldn't be because it's a beekman 1802 product, and they strive for perfection).

As someone who doesn't love onions, I think next time I want to try and pair it with something, like pork. It says pork on the jar, so I figure I'll give that a shot sometime.

So in all, I just need to experiment with it.

2 comments:

  1. That's how I feel, I don't love it, but I like it, I don't hate it. Yeah, pork, maybe I'll get a small pork roast and put it all in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forget what else it says on the jar, but I figure, I keep trying until I find something that makes me go, yeah, or if I don't I cut my losses and toss it and say it's good but it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete