Friday, April 22, 2011

Nicole Makes Crackers

Short story, first off, I'm recovering from some surgery, which has required my diet to be light with food, and pretty much non fatty. So I was looking for something else to add to my limited diet on the Beekman website, when I came across the Cracker Recipe.

In looking at it, I realized this was very similar to the pasta dough my dad and I make all the time, so I figured, I can give this a try and see how it turned out.

First I mixed the ingredients together, and to note, you really don't need a mixer for this. Because if you are like me, and you don't own one (I know the horrors), but your hands work just fine. The dough is a bit sticky, but it mixes into something like this:


Then the dough rests for about a half hour.


After it has rested, it is now ready to be rolled out. (Ironically, I do have a rolling pin, go figure).


I rolled it out, and since my dad likes to make pasta and I'm recovering at my parents place, I had access to a ravioli maker. I also used a pizza cutter to cut the dough, but any sharp object will do just be careful when cutting the dough so you don't cut yourself.  But after I rolled out the dough and cut out some squares, I used the ravioli thing (yes a technical name there :) ) and pressed through the dough to cut out some squares, which turned into rectangles.


The first batch I had put Romano cheese, and just left some sea salt on them.  Once I filled up the cookie sheet, I placed them in the oven.


They baked for about 12 minutes like the recipe said, but every oven is different, and I think the next time I make them, I will keep them on for a couple minutes longer.

For the second batch, I decided to try something different, my dad put some Old Bay spices on some, and my mom and I put cinnamon sugar on a couple more, we also did the plain and the Romano cheese.


After both batches had cooled a bit, the real test, were they any good?


Yes, yes they were.

Lessons learned: Roll the dough a bit thinner. They got a bit chewy after a day, still very good but chewy. Next time I also want to make a couple just plain, no added salt to the top. For breakfast, I'd been eating them with some honey, which my mom found at a store that sells local goods. So the honey is from a couple towns over.

Will I try this recipe again?- Yes, it was easy to make and who doesn't like crackers?

No comments:

Post a Comment